Sunday 18 September 2011

Reindeer Card

I made this card as my entry into this weeks Willow Sketchie Challenge. Another Christmas card for my card box, at this rate I should have enough to give all my family and friends for Christmas. Hope you all like it. :D

Reindeer Card





I used a plain white card as my base card, and cut a square out of polka dot Christmas patterned paper slightly smaller than the card itself. I then cut a rectangle out of star Christmas patterned paper, which I glued down the left side of the polka dot paper. I cut 2 green glitter star border stickers to the length of the width of the polka dot paper. I then stuck them across the polka dot paper (one above the other, with the flat edges meeting) about 2/3 of the way down. Next I glued a dark green ribbon over the top of where the border edges met. I then glued the Polka dot paper to the card itself.




This time for my image element I made a reindeer out of buttons. I used a large brown button for his head, and cut a small brown button in half for his ears. For his red nose I used a red heart shaped diamontie, which I glued along with 2 googly eyes to the large brown button. I glued the head onto a rectangle of green foil card, and then positioned and glued 1 ear to either side of his head. His antlers were a bit trickier, so I thought I'd give you a more detailed how to pic...


For the antlers you could just use thick gauge beading wire, but I thought it looked a bit plain for this particular card, so I decided to jazz it up a bit. I used brown imitation thonging and thin gauge copper toned beading wire. I wound the beading wire around the end of the thonging several times and crimped it so that the beading wire didn't slide off the thonging. Next I simply held the beading wire in 1 hand and twisted the thonging in the other, this then caused the beading wire to wrap around the thonging. I did this until I had the length I required for the piece of antler, I then wrapped the beading wire around the end of the thonging several times and crimped it once again. I repeated this another 3 times for each antler piece (4 in total, 2 long and 2 shorter). I then bent the pieces into a nice curvy shape, and holding near the bottom of a pair (1 long and 1 shorter) I wrapped beading wire around the bottom of them to hold them together, and then repeated for the other pair. 

I then glued them onto the green foil rectangle at the top of the button head. I then used double sided foam tape to attach the green rectangle to the card. Lastly I made a circle Merry Christmas sentiment, which I glued onto a circle of red foil card and then attached to the card also using double sided foam tape.

I really enjoyed making the reindeer, and I would like to thank Anne-Marie from Willow Sketchie Challenge for an awesome sketch. Good luck to all that enter. :D


15 comments:

  1. Fab card hun. Thanks for playing along with Willow Sketchie this week. Hugs, Claire x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Donna :-* Am relieved that I finally got it finished ;)

    Thanks Claire :-* Wouldn't miss it for the world :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another fab card Teegs, I love his diamontie nose and the antlers.
    Thank you for joining us at Willow Sketchie again this week.
    Pauline
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. AW this is gorgeous, well done on your win last week and thanks for joining us once more.

    Kelly x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah he is so cute and WOW thanks for the tutorial its great. Love how you use buttons so much I have loads so need to start playing more!!! Thanks for playing on Willow Sketchie Challenge this week and Remember Sharons Bumper Prize next week!!
    Love Hazel xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Pauline :-* I almost used just a red button for his nose, but then I remembered that I had those diamonties, and I thought it would add a great touch :D

    Thanks Kelly :-* I was thrilled that I won :D

    Thanks Hazel :-* I thought it best to add the tutorial as there was quite a few steps in making the antlers ;) Lol... I have hardly ever used buttons until recently, when I sorted through them and discovered how many great buttons I have ;) Hope I have inspired you to create some embellishments using your buttons :D That's 1 challenge I will definitely be entering... I desperately need some markers... So finger's crossed ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab card hun, love, love, love his antlers! or wiggies as our youngest used to call them!

    Thank you for sharing with us at Willow Sketchie this week, good luck!
    Hugs Shell xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Shell :-* Awww... That's so cute :D I'm glad you liked them :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. He is sooo cute.. fab tute too !
    thanks for joining us over @ Willow Sketchie this week
    hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fab card again Teegs ! , thanks for playing along at Willow Sketchie again this week -Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Lis-m and Kate :-* I'll see you again next week ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your card is fantastic, really good!!! The reindeer is so good, especially his nose! The antlers are so good.

    Thank you for joining us at WSC and good luck.

    Anne-Marie x x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love buttons and your reindeer is just the cutest.His antlers are fabulous too.Lovely card.Congrats on your win last week.Thanks for joining us at Willow Sketchie Challenge.Hope to see you again next week :D
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Lisa :-* Glad you like him :D Thanks... I am hoping to use the digi I won in this week's challenge :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment :-*